RIISAM304E - Install, commission and maintain major conveyor equipment and systems
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to install, commission and maintain major conveyor equipment and systems in the resources and infrastructure industries.
It applies to those working in supervisory and technical specialist roles. They generally work under minimal supervision to undertake a broad range of skilled applications in varied work contexts, using some discretion and judgement in selecting equipment, services or contingency measures.
Licensing, legislative and certification requirements may apply to this unit and can vary between states, territories and industry sectors. Users must check requirements with relevant body before applying the unit.
Elements describe the essential outcomes.
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
1. Plan and prepare for installation, commissioning and maintenance of major conveyor equipment
1.1 Obtain, interpret and confirm work requirements
1.2 Access, interpret and apply documentation required to install, commission and maintain major conveyor equipment and systems
1.3 Identify and address potential risks, hazards and environmental issues, and implement control measures according to workplace procedures
1.4 Select and wear personal protective equipment appropriate for the work activity
1.5 Obtain and interpret emergency procedures, and be prepared for emergency situations
1.6 Access, interpret and apply geological and survey data
1.7 Obtain, transport and prepare materials and resources for the work activities
2. Install conveyor equipment
2.1 Communicate and coordinate activities with others prior to commencement of, and during, the work activity
2.2 Apply and monitor isolation and tag out procedures throughout the work according to workplace procedures
2.3 Install conveyor equipment and systems according to manufacturer specifications
2.4 Perform work within the operating capacities of the allocated equipment
3. Commission conveyor systems
3.1 Carry out inspection of conveyors and belts and auxiliary componentry according to workplace procedures
3.2 Carry out start-up and shut-down procedures according to workplace procedures
3.3 Test and test run equipment according to workplace procedures
4. Carry out operator maintenance
4.1 Carry out conveyor equipment inspections and fault finding according to workplace procedures
4.2 Carry out routine operational maintenance, servicing, lubrication and housekeeping tasks according to workplace procedures
4.3 Carry out minor maintenance and repairs according to manufacturer specifications
4.4 Provide operator support during preparation for, and conduct of, major maintenance tasks
4.5 Process written maintenance records according to workplace procedures
This section describes those language, literacy, numeracy and employment skills that are essential to performance but not explicit in the performance criteria.
Identifies and interprets information from workplace procedures, documentation and regulations
Monitors and minimises own exposure to worksite risks and hazards during activities
The candidate must demonstrate the ability to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including evidence of the ability to:
- install, commission and maintain major conveyor equipment and systems on at least two occasions, including:
- installing conveyor equipment
- completing operator maintenance
- inspecting conveyors, belts and auxiliary components
- accessing, interpreting and applying technical and safety information
- interpreting and applying survey information and plans
- operating plant and machinery
- maintaining equipment records
- applying diagnostic and fault finding techniques
- using hand tools
- addressing environmental issues
- completing start-up and shutdown activities.
- locate and apply relevant documentation, policies and procedures and confirm that the work activity is compliant
- implement the requirements, procedures and techniques for installing, commissioning and maintaining major conveyor equipment and systems
- work effectively with others to install, commission and maintain major conveyor equipment and systems in a way that meets all required outcomes
- communicate clearly and concisely with others to receive and clarify work instructions and to determine coordination requirements prior to commencing and during work activities.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate knowledge to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including knowledge of:
- key policies, procedures and documentation required to install, commission and maintain major conveyor equipment and systems, including:
- operational safety
- mine operations
- mine communications
- conveyor equipment installation
- site mechanical and technical maintenance systems
- equipment maintenance and lubrication
- site environmental issues and constraints
- principles and techniques for identifying conveyor equipment characteristics, uses and limitations
- principles and techniques for accessing and interpreting relevant geological and survey information
- principles and techniques for identifying relevant hazards and emergencies
- techniques for coordinating and communicating job activities with others.
Mandatory conditions for assessment of this unit are stipulated below. The assessment must:
- include access to:
- personal protective equipment
- equipment related to installing, commissioning and maintaining major conveyor equipment and systems
- relevant documentation
- be conducted in a safe environment; and,
- be assessed in the context of this sector's work environment; and,
- be assessed in compliance with relevant legislation/regulation and using policies, procedures and processes directly related to the industry sector for which it is being assessed; and,
- confirm consistent performance can be applied in a range of relevant workplace circumstances.