RIIRIS201E - Conduct local risk control.
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to conduct local risk in the resources and infrastructure industries.
It applies to those working in operational roles. They generally work under supervision to undertake a prescribed range of functions involving known routines and procedures and take some responsibility for the quality of own work outcomes.
Licensing, legislative and certification requirements may apply to this unit and can vary between states, territories and industry sectors. Users must check requirements with relevant body before applying the unit.
Elements describe the essential outcomes.
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
1. Plan and prepare for risk control
1.1 Obtain, interpret and confirm work requirements
1.2 Access, interpret and apply documentation and procedures
1.3 Inspect work area conditions to identify potential hazards
1.4 Apply risk management procedures to deal with recognised hazards according to workplace procedures
1.5 Identify the type and scope of unresolved hazards and address their potential impact
2. Assess and identify unacceptable risk
2.1 Assess and determine the consequences of an event according to workplace procedures
2.2 Consider and determine the likelihood of the event
2.3 Identify criteria to determine the acceptability/unacceptability of the risk
2.4 Assess risk against criteria to identify if it warrants unacceptable risk status which requires action
2.5 Communicate and clarify the decision to relevant personnel
3. Identify, assess and implement risk treatments
3.1 Identify and consider all possible risk treatment options
3.2 Identify options by preliminary analysis and consideration of options
3.3 Analyse options with consideration to resource requirements
3.4 Identify and select most appropriate and effective course of action
3.5 Plan and prepare the risk treatment and obtain the required resources and approval
3.6 Implement the approved risk treatment
3.7 Review the risk treatment processes
4. Complete records and reports
4.1 Communicate the risk treatment processes to relevant personnel
4.2 Complete written records and reports for hazards and actions from risk assessment
This section describes those language, literacy, numeracy and employment skills that are essential to performance but not explicit in the performance criteria.
SKILL & DESCRIPTION
Produces and completes written documents required for workplace procedures
Calculates resource requirements, including use of basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
Monitors and minimises own exposure to worksite risks and hazards during activities
The candidate must demonstrate the ability to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including evidence of the ability to:
- conduct local risk controls on at least two occasions, including:
- identifying unacceptable risk using the acceptability/unacceptability criteria
- working with others to determine risk controls
- assessing and determining the consequences and likelihood of potential risk
- controlling risk by selecting and implementing the most appropriate controls
- completing reports and records about the risk assessment and treatment implementation.
- locate and apply relevant documentation, policies and procedures and confirm that the work activity is compliant
- implement the requirements, procedures and techniques for conducting local risk control
- work with others to conduct of local risk control
- communicate with others to receive and clarify work instructions and to determine coordination requirements prior to commencing and during work activities.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate knowledge to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including knowledge of:
- key policies, procedures and documentation required to conduct local risk control, including those related to:
- work health and safety procedures
- emergency procedures
- organisational risk management policy and procedure requirements
- conducting worksite risk management procedures
- conducting and maintaining worksite communication, reporting and recording procedures
- procedures and criteria for identifying and assessing hazards, risks, acceptability of risks and controls
- risk control options, including:
- hazards elimination
- implementation of the hierarchy of controls
- procedures for writing worksite records and reports, including:
- hazard reporting reports
- incident reports
- near miss reports.
Mandatory conditions for assessment of this unit are stipulated below. The assessment must:
- include access to:
- personal and protective equipment
- equipment required to conduct local risk control
- relevant documentation
- be conducted in a safe environment; and,
- be assessed in the context of this sector's work environment; and,
- be assessed in compliance with relevant legislation/regulation and using policies, procedures and processes directly related to the industry sector for which it is being assessed; and,
- confirm consistent performance can be applied in a range of relevant workplace circumstances.